Kuma Kitchen - French Toast Sticks with Maple Cream Cheese Dip
Looking for your next camping meal inspiration? In our first Kuma Kitchen video of the season, we’ll show you how to make delicious French Toast Sticks (with a decadent Maple Cream Cheese dipping sauce!) while camping and enjoying the great outdoors. Follow our simple instructions and you’ll have a delicious meal in no time, all while taking in the beauty of nature.
We believe that cooking and eating while camping is one of life’s greatest pleasures. So, grab your Deluxe 2-Burner Propane Camp Stove and join us as we whip up a tasty breakfast that’s perfect for a morning in the woods.
1 loaf brioche texas toast (stale, or toasted)
1 cup milk
⅓ cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
¼ cup butter
1 lb bacon
1 cup fresh strawberries
Maple Cream Cheese Dip
½ cup cream cheese
¼ cup powdered sugar
6-8 tbsp dark maple syrup (start with 6, taste and add more if needed for thickness and flavor)
- Start the bacon in a cast-iron pan on the camp stove. Low and slow is the trick to perfectly cooked bacon. Flip once, and remove when it looks cooked slightly less than you want, it will continue cooking from the residual heat once removed from the pan.
- While the bacon is cooking, prep the egg mixture that we are going to dip the bread into.
- Combine the milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk until evenly incorporated and no egg streaks remain.
- Slice the bread into strips (thirds) before dipping. The bread works best if it is a little stale (leave the bag open overnight) or lightly toasted. It holds the egg mixture a little better and is less likely to get soggy.
- By now the bacon should be done. Remove it from the pan and drain the grease, leaving just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- With the heat set to low, (cast-iron pans retain a lot of heat). Dip a few pieces of the bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides but just for 1-2 seconds, then place into the pan.
- Flip once golden brown, and then continue to crisp all 4 sides of the slices.
- Add a little butter between batches to make sure the bottom of the pan stays coated.
- While the french toast sticks are cooking, prep the maple cream cheese dip by combining the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and maple syrup.
- Use a fork to press all of the cream cheese down, then whisk until smooth.
Only place a few slices of french toast in the pan for the first batch. Just like pancakes the first couple are testers to make sure you have the temperature of the pan set correctly.
Always make sure you have enough butter melted at the bottom of the pan as this reduces the chances of burning the toast.
Low and slow results in nice crispy sticks. If the temperature is too high, the outside will be crispy and the inside will still be wet from the egg mixture.
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR KUMA KOMMUNITY
Make sure to follow Kuma Outdoor Gear on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to stay up to date on giveaways, our favourite camp-friendly recipes, how-to guides, and new product drops.
Want to share your adventure? Use the hashtag #KumaKommunity to show us your favourite Kuma gear in an encouraging and inspiring online space!Share Article